22 Mar Common Treatments For Sports Injuries
As an elite athlete, there are few things more disappointing than suffering an injury. Our Brooklyn orthopedist at Advanced Orthopedics & Joint Preservation is committed to providing high-quality sports medicine to patients suffering from a variety of different sports injuries. Our goal is to get you back on the field performing at full strength. Please continue reading below to discover how we treat sports injuries.
Even if you do not participate in contact sports, injuries can occur at any time. It’s essential to seek prompt treatment at the first sign of an injury to avoid long-term complications and return to action faster. Some of the most common sports injuries treated by our Brooklyn orthopedist include:
- Overuse Injuries.
- Ankle Sprains.
- Shin Splints.
- Stress Fractures.
- Ligament Problems.
- Muscle Tears.
Common Treatments For Sports Injuries
When it comes to treating sports injuries, preventative care is fundamental. Our team will work with you to help you retain strength and keep yourself injury-free so you can stay out on the field with your teammates. Many athletes push through pain or injury for fear of disappointing their coaches or teammates. However, ignoring an injury significantly impacts your athletic output. Our Brooklyn orthopedist will evaluate your damage and determine the appropriate treatment option. Some of the most common sports injury treatments may include:
- PRICE – Mild injuries can be managed with protection, rest, ice, compression, and elevation (PRICE).
- Medication – Our orthopedist may recommend anti-inflammatory pain medications to reduce swelling and soothe the pain.
- Immobilization – Immobilization techniques can help prevent further damage by reducing movement, pain, and muscle swelling. Braces, splints, and casts may be used to immobilize injured areas as you heal.
- Exercises & Manual Therapy – Those suffering from long-term injuries can benefit from physical therapies. This can involve targeted exercise, massage therapy, and hands-on manipulation to improve your strength and help restore normal function to the injured area.
- Injection Therapy – Persistent pain and inflammation can benefit from corticosteroid injections.
- Surgery – In the event of a more severe sports injury such as a badly broken bone or ligament tear, you may require surgical treatment to restore proper function.
At Advanced Orthopedics & Joint Preservation, our goal is to safely facilitate your return to the sport that you love. Our Brooklyn orthopedist will design a suitable recovery program to meet your specific sport and unique capabilities. Be sure to contact us today to schedule an appointment for care!