17 May Is It Okay To Wear A Knee Brace All The Time?
How Can Our Orthopedist in Valley Stream Help You?
If you are suffering from knee pain, wearing a knee brace can provide you with support to help ease your symptoms. Knee pain can make simple tasks like walking, driving, or exercising difficult, which can be incredibly frustrating. At Advanced Orthopedics & Joint Preservation, our team, led by our orthopedist in Valley Stream, will provide you with all the information you need to find the best method for helping to relieve your pain.
When Do You Need To Wear A Knee Brace?
There are a few different kinds of knee braces that are used for different purposes. Some of these include a few of the following that are recommended by our orthopedist in Valley Stream:
- Knee Immobilizer – This prevents your knee joint from moving. They are often used after surgery to prevent further injury and promote healing.
- Rehabilitative Braces – These braces are used to keep the knee stable after injury or surgery. They allow some degrees of movement.
- Unloader Braces – These are recommended for people with arthritis in their knees. These braces shift the weight off the affected knee.
- Prophylactic Braces – These protect the knees from contact sports like football. They are used to prevent knee injuries.
- Knee Sleeves – Knee sleeves provide compression around the knee to prevent swelling and support the knee.
Is It Okay To Wear A Knee Brace All The Time?
While wearing a knee brace can be helpful, it is important to know when, and how long to wear one. Talk with our orthopedist in Valley Stream to discuss whether or not wearing a knee brace is right for you. If your orthopedist recommends it, you can wear your brace all day. However, improper use of a knee brace can worsen your pain or cause further damage to the knee. If you are using a brace that immobilizes your knee, the joint can weaken. It is recommended that you maintain strength after your injury by doing knee exercises under the supervision of your orthopedist.
Contact Our Orthopedist in Valley Stream
If you are struggling with a knee injury and are looking for ways to alleviate your pain, Advanced Orthopedics & Joint Preservation can help. Our highly trained and experienced staff can help you find a treatment plan that works for your needs, and help you improve your quality of life! Please visit our website to learn how you can schedule an appointment today.