Treating Your Rheumatoid Arthritis
Patients who have dealt with any form of arthritis can attest to how debilitating this ailment can be for their wellbeing. Due to its many different variations and symptoms, finding treatment for arthritis can, at times, be difficult. However, at Advanced Orthopedics & Joint Preservation, we’ve helped our fair share of patients overcome ailments such as these. If you’ve recently been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, our Brooklyn orthopedist can deliver you the treatment that you desire.
What Is Rheumatoid Arthritis?
Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disorder that causes the swelling and irritation of the joints in your body. This condition occurs when your immune system begins to attack the lining of your joints, leading to painful inflammation. If not treated promptly, rheumatoid arthritis can also cause bone erosion and the disfiguration of an affected joint. If you’re dealing with this condition, the symptoms our Brooklyn orthopedist can help you manage may include the following:
- Joints that are tender, swollen, and in some cases, warm.
- Stiffness that reaches its peak in the morning or after physical activity.
- Loss of appetite.
Causes Of Rheumatoid Arthritis
As previously stated, rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disorder that occurs when the body begins to attack the lining of your joints. When this takes place, the integrity of the joint can be compromised, leading to a loss of functionality. Although the exact cause of this condition is not clear, many doctors agree that genetics play a likely role in its development. Other risk factors that can trigger this condition may include the following:
- Being middle-aged.
- Having a family history of developing this condition.
- Obesity, especially in women 55 and under.
Seeking Treatment With Our Brooklyn Orthopedist
Treatment for rheumatoid arthritis will vary on a patient to patient basis. However, when the symptoms are severe enough, surgery may be required to correct the issue. When choosing our team to facilitate treatment, our Brooklyn orthopedist will perform a full assessment of your condition to determine if surgery is the right approach to take. If he deems it beneficial, the surgeries that can be performed could potentially include the following (please make sure you inquire with our staff beforehand):
- Synovectomy: This procedure involves removing the inflamed lining of the affected joint.
- Tendon Repair: If rheumatoid arthritis has caused damage to your tendons, they may be able to be repaired through surgery.
- Joint Fusion: When your joint is unstable or becomes misaligned, this operation can be performed to realign the joint and offer pain relief.
- Total Joint Replacement: In cases where the damage caused by rheumatoid arthritis destroys the joint, our surgeon can replace this area with artificial materials to allow you to regain functionality.
Advanced Orthopedics & Joint Preservation
At Advanced Orthopedics & Joint Preservation, we’re committed to providing the highest possible quality of care to our patients. Our Brooklyn orthopedist knows how devastating dealing with rheumatoid arthritis can be and can perform several different operations to help correct this issue. Request an appointment with our team so you can take back the life that was stolen from you by rheumatoid arthritis today!