Viscosupplementation for Knee Arthritis
Osteoarthritis of the knee is a common condition seen in many adults. This condition progressively develops making the intensity of pain worsen over time. Although there is no known cure for knee arthritis, our orthopedist in Wantagh offers a medical procedure known as Viscosupplementation which is used to treat symptoms of knee arthritis.
Causes And Symptoms Of Knee Arthritis
Although osteoarthritis of the knee is most commonly seen in older adults, young people can suffer from it as well. There are several factors that contribute to the development of arthritis at a younger age. These factors include:
- Weight. The heavier a person weighs, the more pressure being applied to the knee joint.
- Repetitive Injuries. This typically is related to the type of occupation one has. Specifically, those involving strenuous activity that affects the joint. These activities could include squatting, kneeling, or lifting heavy objects.
- Athletes. Sports such as tennis, soccer, or running have an increased risk of developing knee arthritis.
- Hereditary. This involves any genetic mutation that might contribute to the development of knee arthritis.
Symptoms of knee arthritis do differ depending on the severity and progression of arthritis. Symptoms include:
- Knee stiffness felt especially in the morning or after sitting for a long period of time.
- Pain that worsens when doing physical activity and improves while resting.
- Warmth in the joint area.
- Decreased mobility of the knee.
Although there are several treatment options for knee arthritis, our orthopedist in Wantagh may suggest viscosupplementation as a nonsurgical treatment for these symptoms. During this procedure, our orthopedist will inject a gel-like fluid known as hyaluronic acid into the knee joint. This fluid acts as a lubricant to support the bones to move easily over each other. It also acts as a shock absorber for joint pressures.
Here at Advanced Orthopedics & Joint Preservation, our team is dedicated to providing the highest quality of orthopedic care to our patients. If you have knee arthritis and have had little success with other treatment options, contact our office to consult with our orthopedist in Wantagh to discuss viscosupplementation!