18 Mar What Are The Best Exercises For Arthritic Hip Pain?
Exercising with arthritic hip pain may seem like the last thing you’d want to do, but inactivity can actually worsen your symptoms. At Advanced Orthopedics & Joint Preservation, our orthopedist in Valley Stream recommends exercises as a crucial component of your arthritis treatment plan. Continue reading below to discover some of the best exercises you can perform to soothe arthritic hip pain.
Best Exercises For Arthritic Hip Pain
Our orthopedist in Valley Stream will evaluate your arthritic hip and determine the appropriate exercises to help alleviate some of your symptoms. Increasing your daily activity is not only beneficial for arthritis pain but can also help improve your overall health and well-being. Here are some of the best therapeutic exercises for arthritic hip pain:
*As always, please consult with an Advanced Orthopedics & Joint Preservation medical professional before starting a new workout regimen.
Straight Leg Raises
- Start by lying on your side with your affected hip on top.
- Contract the thigh muscles of your top leg to keep your knee straight.
- With your hip and leg straight in line, lift the top leg straight toward the ceiling. Hold this position, then gently lower your leg.
- Repeat this exercise up to 12 times. Switch to the other leg and repeat.
- Start out on your back with both knees bent about 90 degrees.
- Drive your feet into the floor, squeeze your buttocks and lift your hips up until your hips, knees, and shoulders are aligned.
- Hold this bridge for around 5 seconds, then slowly lower your hips back down to rest.
- Repeat this exercise up to 12 times.
Standing Quadriceps Stretch
- Hold on to a counter, chair or wall and bend one of your knees. Reach behind you and grab the front of your ankle or foot with the hand on the same side.
- With your knees still next to each other, gently pull your foot toward your buttock until you feel a soothing stretch in the front of your hip and down the front of your thigh.
- Hold this stretch for up to 30 seconds, then repeat 4 times.
- Switch legs, and perform the stretch on the other side.
At Advanced Orthopedics & Joint Preservation, we are highly experienced in treating arthritis of the hip. Our orthopedist in Valley Stream will design a treatment program customized to your unique needs and help you implement an activity routine that improves your quality of life. Be sure to contact us today to schedule an appointment! [/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.