Preventing Skiing Injuries
With the winter season upon us, you may be itching to hit the slopes again. The adrenaline rush from zooming down the mountain can be second to none, but you shouldn’t forget about the potential risks. Serious injury may occur if you are not careful, but Advanced Orthopedics and Joint Preservation, a Brooklyn orthopedist, can help you stay out of the lodge and on the powder.
Even the most advanced skiers can suffer an injury. The sport is one of the extreme thrills, but also an extreme danger. Some of the most common skiing related injuries tend to include a few of the following:
- Knee tears and sprains.
- Lower leg strains and ruptures.
- Upper extremity fractures.
If an injury happens to you while skiing, visiting a Brooklyn Orthopedist at Advanced Orthopedics and Joint Preservation can be the first step in recovery.
Avoiding These Injuries
At times, avoiding injury while skiing may be impossible due to the dangerous nature of the activity. However, there are cautionary measures you can take to help minimize the risk of injury. Such measures include:
- Proper preparation
- Maintaining a healthy lifestyle, warming up, staying hydrated, and knowing the safety rules of the ski resort are all great ways to help prevent injury before even putting on your skis.
- Ensure appropriate equipment
- Make sure that all your equipment is functioning correctly and fits properly beforehand to help avoid dangerous situations when you begin your descent down the mountain.
- Ensure a safe environment
- Always stay on marked trails to avoid avalanche-risk areas and be wary of rocks and patches of ice that you may encounter.
- Prepare for injuries
- Ski with partners and stay in sight of one another to be able to give immediate assistance if necessary.
How Our Brooklyn Orthopedist Can Help
At Advanced Orthopedics and Joint Preservation, we pledge to provide the highest quality of orthopedic care possible. Whether it be through braces, joints, or in extreme cases surgeries, you can trust that our Brooklyn Orthopedist can properly determine the severity of your injury and give you the necessary treatment moving forward.
Skiing is a breathtaking activity that is enjoyed by several thrill-seekers. While you may be eager to jump right on the ski lift now that winter is upon us, understanding the risks can make the overall experience a better one. No one wants to cut their trip short due to injury. However, should this happen to you, contact Advanced Orthopedics and Joint Preservation today so your Brooklyn Orthopedist can get you back into your skis!