07 Feb Strengthening Exercises For Ice Hockey Athletes
Ice hockey players are considered some of the toughest athletes in sports. To be a successful hockey player, these athletes are constantly putting their bodies on the line. To avoid sustaining an injury as a result of high impact sport, like hockey, having a proper workout regimen is a must. At Advanced Orthopedics and Joint Preservation, we never want an athlete to spend time off the ice due to an injury. That is why Dr. Stanislav Avshalumov, our orthopedic surgeon in Nassau County, wants to share some of the most beneficial strength exercises an ice hockey player can perform!
Exercises for Ice Hockey Players:
Single-Leg Squats –
- Stand with your weight on one leg and have your foot pointed forward.
- Slightly raise your non-supporting foot off of the ground.
- Lower yourself into a squat position while keeping all of the weight on the ball of your foot in the supporting leg.
- Our orthopedic surgeon in Nassau County recommends performing 3 sets of 10 on each leg.
Walking Lunges –
- Pick a manageable weight on either dumbbells or kettlebells and hold one in each hand.
- Starting in a standing position with your leg parallel, bend one knee and step the other leg backward while landing on the ball of your foot.
- Step back as far as you can while making sure your front knee does not extend past your toes.
- Gently lower your tailbone between your legs and hold for 30 seconds before returning to the starting position.
- Alternate this process between both legs 3 to 4 times.
Side Step Jumps –
- Using a box or bench, have one leg elevated with the other to the side.
- Drive the elevated leg into the box or bench and lift yourself laterally as high as you can go.
- While in mid-air, switch legs before landing on the opposite side of the box.
- Repeat 10 to 12 times on each leg while aiming to achieve the maximum height.
Orthopedic Surgeon In Nassau County
Though strength training is an excellent way to avoid developing an injury or pain, injuries can strike ice hockey players at any time due to the rough, collisional aspect of the sport. Injury can happen in practice, during a game, or even when you are strength training. At Advanced Orthopedics and Joint Preservation, we know how devastating sustaining an injury can be for passionate hockey players. That is why Dr. Stanislav Avshalumov, our orthopedic surgeon in Nassau County, will do everything in his power to get you back with your team sooner rather than later. If you’re looking for a proper diagnosis and comprehensive treatment plan, request an appointment with us today!