21 Nov Treating Compartment Syndrome
If you or someone you know suffers from compartment syndrome and is searching for an orthopedist in Nassau County, Advanced Orthopedics and Joint Preservation is capable of helping patients treat this condition.
What is Compartment Syndrome?
Compartment syndrome is a painful disease that affects your limbs. It occurs when there is a dangerous amount of swelling of the muscles, which begins to put pressure on the nerves, thus slowing blood flow to the affected area. This can lead to a feeling of numbness or pins and needles in a patient’s legs or arms and a lot of pain and discomfort. Advanced Orthopedics & Joint Preservation, an orthopedist in Nassau County, NY, is here to help our patients with their diagnosis and treatment. We understand the pain and discomfort that can be brought about by this disease, and we want to help alleviate you of your pain and get you back to your everyday life.
Types Of Compartment Syndrome
There are two variations of compartment syndrome that patients can be diagnosed with. The type of diagnosis and the cause of the problem will dictate the type of treatment you will receive:
- Acute Compartment Syndrome – This is caused by a traumatic injury such as a bone fracture resulting from a car accident.
- Chronic Compartment Syndrome – The cause of this syndrome is excessive exercise and muscle fatigue. Typically seen with repetitive motion exercises such as cycling, swimming, or running.
Symptoms Of Compartment Syndrome
- Pain is the leading complaint of this syndrome. The discomfort of this degree can be very persistent and progressive. This type of pain is very sensitive and feels worse when stretching, elevating, or touching.
- Experiencing a strange numbness or tingling in your limbs.
- The affected area has a strange pale color due to the lack of blood flow.
- There is no pulse or a weak pulse in the affected area.
Treating Compartment Syndrome
- Acute Compartment Syndrome – This can only be treated with surgery. This requires a doctor to cut into the affected area and relieve the pressure.
- Chronic Compartment Syndrome – This can be treated with shoe inserts, physical therapy, and anti-inflammatory drugs. Patients are also advised to stop the activity that is causing the problem.
Can Compartment Syndrome Be Avoided?
You may be able to avoid chronic Compartment Syndrome if you make sure you are not over exhausting muscles during exercise. You also must make sure that you are properly conditioning muscles for the type of exercise that you plan on doing. Additionally, wearing shoe inserts to decrease impact when running and maintaining flexibility can also help prevent this syndrome. Our expert orthopedist in Nassau County is equipped to treat your symptoms.
In the case of Acute Compartment Syndrome, avoiding the condition altogether can be tricky. It is important for patients who wear a cast to be mindful of warning signs, and if they begin to experience symptoms, they need to talk to a healthcare provider immediately. Early diagnosis may help prevent the need for surgery.
There Is An Orthopedist In Nassau County That Can Help You!
At Advanced Orthopedics & Joint Preservation, our trained staff and doctors are here to help you. We treat all of our patients as individuals, catering your treatment to your specific diagnosis. Schedule an appointment with us today online or call us at 516-887-5500! Our orthopedist in Nassau County is ready to help you live a healthier life!